Friday, October 17, 2014

How to Make a FABULOUS, NO Sew Tooter, aka...Tutu!

Our house these days is Frozen EVERYTHING! Each new day Charley requests, nay, demands..., that she wear her Elsa dress. Typically for school or other public outings I can talk her into regular child clothes, but when we are at home, I don't see why she can't be Elsa everyday :)

The only problem is we only have a handful (like two) "Elsa" dresses, and only have two "Elsa" nightgowns as well. So we trade them out. Also, for Halloween this year, Char requested that she "turn into Elsa"...so naturally I had to make Liza be Anna!

Meemaw ordered Charley a fancy Elsa costume for Christmas, but I was having a hard time finding an Anna for Liza. I checked on Etsy and found a few ideas to run with, and decided to make my own. The main part? A royal blue tutu for a little baby girl. Then I found this link that showed me exactly how to make a no-sew tutu.



I did not reinvent the wheel, my friends. I straight up stole this idea and am republishing it here, but don't forget to click the link above so that this nice lady gets some hits too!

First, gather all your supplies. Just a quick trip to Hobbly Lobbly (as Charley calls it) will do the trick. You need:



Wrap your tulle around a piece of cardboard (or as I did, a kitchen cutting board) to your desired length. I wrapped mine the same way for both girls, but for Charley's since I wanted it longer, I only cut on one end. The link above suggests cutting your tulle to about 15 inches for toddlers per piece.



Make necessary cuts.

Cut a LONG piece of ribbon. ( I opted for ribbon here rather than elastic so that the tutus can grow with the child, not get super tight when their little waists grow :) Cut your ribbon longer than you will really need...rather cut more off later than be stuck with too little!

Next, tie your pieces of tulle to the ribbon. You can do a standard knot, or as I opted, make a simple slip knot. I personally think the slip knot is prettier. Do this until you have the desired length and pattern you would like.



Then just tie a pretty bow at the back and...




TA....DAAAA!!!!

You have now successfully made a simple, no-sew, "tooter", (as Charley says) or tutu!!!! And now you have successfully added to your "Elsa" dress up collection, just like us! 

Happy crafting, friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment