Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Real Life

It's time to get real. Learning of the passing of Robin Williams brings to surface an array of emotions for me, particularly because I can relate. 

Read that. I can relate

The past few months has rocked my world in an unreal way. I've been on the mental roller coaster of my life, some days not knowing which way is up. I'm not sure of the why, but I can tell you about how I've made it day to day with increasing anxiety and somedays almost debilitating depression. 

1) Family supportTop billing for my list of family support hands down goes to my Jojo, who daily (often multiple times) checks in to see how I'm feeling, holds me when I want to cry or just need a hug, maintains the household on those down days, and is incredibly supportive and reassuring of treatment plans.

Working side by side with my mom three days a week has also been a huge blessing in this season of my life because she is able to keep a close (we share the same office!) eye on my mood and offer help (even though I often deny I need it) along the way. A simple, "want to talk", and the new meaning of a mental health day has been immeasurable. 

In addition, sisterella Steph lets me text-vent at all hours, reminds me that this is an illness, not a plague, and is my through and through best friend. 

Mental illness and health is not a joke. You absolutely 100% need your family by your side. My in laws are spectacular at loving my family and myself when we need it most. 

2) Therapy. I overheard someone recently talk about a couple attending therapy as something negative. Since when did wanting to better yourself or foster your relationships become something bad? I see a counselor every two weeks on a fairly regular basis. Having someone neutral in my life to talk about ooey-gooey feelings and just life in general is a great first step at seeking help when facing mental health. 

3) Medical Treatment. Ugh, this was a HUGE step for me as I put a negative connotation on the word psychiatrist. I thought only people with major mental illnesses saw psychiatrists. People who had hallucinations or people with Debbie and Franco as alter egos or people who put puppies in the freezer. Not people like me. Turns out though, people with moderate to severe anxiety and people who want to sleep all the time are also good candidates for psychiatry. And while I bawled in my doctors office when he handed me my prescription for mood stabilizing drugs, I have come to understand and realize that taking drugs for depression and anxiety is no different than taking insulin for diabetes if deemed necessary by a medical professional. 

I say all of this not to draw attention to my own health and situation, but to raise awareness on the topic of mental health. It's not a plague. It's a disease. It's rather treatable. It's a pain in the ass and I ask myself almost daily, "why can't I just be normal". But it's a part of me and in a way it makes me stronger. 




(Photo credits from healthline.com)


One of my friends on FB posted this and I can't agree more! It's a shame that we do place a stigma on mental health and so many people go untreated because of the fear of judgement or jokes made on their behalf. 

It's time to get real. It's time to love hard. It's time to ask questions to our friends and family and seriously and intently listen to their needs. Let's be brave and tell our stories for we don't know who we might touch. Let's hug our loved ones and encourage strangers. Let's pray for all. 


Mental health doesn't discriminate. You are special. You are important. You are needed and loved. 

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment