Sunday, August 10, 2014

Weekending & Dreaming :)

This weekend Joseph and I had our first ever, parent-of-two-girls-no-girls-getaway, to which was a welcomed break from our day to day routine and time we both needed to settle, rekindle, and relight a fire that has been in us for some time.

We headed to New Braunfels for Joseph's "birthday weekend", which was actually after his birthday, but, hey, he turned 30 so I'll cut him some slack! He has always wanted to see Dwight Yoakum in concert, so when we learned that The Dwight was going to play at Whitewater Amphitheater in NB, we jumped on the opportunity to go. We met our friends Spencer and Nicole there and stayed at the sweetest little bed and breakfast in Gruene. It was such a nice break and we were able to eat, shop, and sleep with no kiddos in tow. Haha...if you're a mom (or a dad), then surely you can appreciate this :)





A couple of things we learned about ourselves, as aging people, along the weekend:

1) The tiniest bit of humidity = super sweaty upper lips. Gross McGrosserson.
2) Getting our drank on ain't like it used to be :)
3) Midnight is midnight and that's just too late. I almost fell asleep standing up at the concert around 11:30!
4) After seeing The Dwight, we now want require seats at concerts. General admission sucks.
5) A meal eaten with both hands tastes a million bazillion times better :)

It really was so refreshing to just be with Joseph and as a couple, we learned a ton from Spencer and Nicole over the weekend. They are taking major steps to eliminate debt and work towards their dreams, and we were truly inspired to do the same. On our six hour drive home, Joseph and I dreamed about our long term goals. How we want radical change to happen in our family and how the only people that can make that happen is us. How we want to raise our girls differently than what society tells us is normal. How different is good. How radical is good. How we just desperately are tired of dreaming and we want to start doing. (Hello Home Depot commercial...) How we want the land, the cows, the garden, the little house that we built with our own hands. A goat. How we want to be self-sufficient. How we want to teach our kids culture and life skills. How we don't just want a handful or houseful or garage-full of stuff. How we want more. How we want change. But the only people that can make that change happen is us. And we essentially have to get up off our asses and make it happen!

And that's exciting. It's both exciting and scary. Yup. A LOT of scary right there.

The unknown absolutely terrifies me. I bask in the glory of my tidy house with my things that I've worked hard for, my solace in this place that is my life, and the comfort that the life I've created and built brings me. But all of that could change in the blink of an eye. Tomorrow oil prices could plummet. Tomorrow new hardships could occur. Tomorrow is tomorrow and anything could change and totally rock this little world of mine that I hold so dear. So the unknown of the changes to come that Joseph and I so desperately want is really scary. But...

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” --Theodore Roosevelt

So I guess, bring it on, let's do this. We only have one life, might as well make the most of it while we are here.

Cheers to dreaming and doing. But let's toast with sparkling soda or juice...remember, I'm an old fart!

Also, on a side note...I just realized that I misspelled traveling as travelling on every-single-California-post. Damn it. Palm slap to the forehead!

No comments:

Post a Comment